M. Com. (Bombay) M. Sc. (Econ. & Bus. Admn.) (L.S.E., London) Diploma of Distinction (Cambridge) (Feb. 28, 1926 – Dec. 14, 2003)
Prof. Shah worked as a life-long University Educator. His contributions have played a vital role in the growth of Vallabh Vidyanagar and Sardar Patel University. He began his career as a young college lecturer and moved on to becoming College Principal; Dean, Faculty of Commerce; Head, Post Graduate Department of Commerce; Founder & Honorary Director of Post Graduate Business Management Institute and also served as the Vice Chancellor.
Prof. Manubhai M. Shah was born in Kundhela (near Vadodara), Gujarat and resided in Vallabh Vidyanagar with his family for the most of his life. He was married to Kantaben Shah and father to 3 children – Atul, Anil & Preeti.
In 1965, Prof. Shah had successfully organized All Indian Commerce Conference at Vallabh Vidyanagar. He had also served as the President of the Inter-University Council for Commerce and Management Education & Research. He was appointed as the National Lecturer by UGC. He was ahead of his time in his teachings. He believed the education should meet the needs of all types and sizes of businesses. For this reason, he had started the Charotar Management Association (CMA) with other business leaders and solicited their input to make Commerce and Business education relevant. He was the Founder Secretary and President of CMA. In addition, he had served as the Honorary Executive &/or Officer of over 100 policy making bodies at regional and national level. Many individuals, institutions, businesses and political leaders valued his counsel, worldwide. He was recognized by several international “Who’s Who”, Biographies and Directories.
Prof. Shah had published over 25 research reports and books, and over 300 Research and Literary Articles. He was the Guide to over 15 Ph. D. and External Referee to numerous Ph. D. and D.Lit. Scholars throughout India. He believed strongly in the value of education and gave over 300 speeches on complex Commerce, Business and Trade subjects. He also authored a text book on Economics in the Gujarati language. Throughout his career, he had organized over 100 seminars and educational classes/workshops at national and international leve
Although Prof. Shah was known to most as an Intellectual, Educator, Lecturer, Researcher and Author; he was known to his family and co-workers as a hard working, honest man with deep rooted values and morals. His strong work ethic combined with his commitment to the community led him to participate in India’s Independence Movement and other Gandhian constructive activities, including fighting for eliminating ‘untouchability’ and dowry and allowing widow marriages. He did not accept the Freedom Fighter’s Award, pension and other perks on the grounds of principle. His belief system was forward in its nature, but he maintained a strong Indian identity. He sacrificed the opportunity to be a professor at the London School of Economics to continue serving the cause of commerce education in India. Upon his death his body was donated, per his wishes, to the University Hospital for Research and Education purpose.
In keeping with Prof. Shah’s dedication to learning and research, we hope this Award will inspire you, and many others to follow his legacy.
1. The Award is named as “Prof. Manubhai M. Shah Memorial Award for Excellence in Commerce & Business Management” (MMSMA).
2. The Award is to be given each year for outstanding contributions to the discipline & profession of Commerce & Business Management.
Nature of the Award :
The Award shall comprise cash prize of Rs. 2,00,000/- (Rupees two lacs) [together with a certificate and trophy], to be awarded each year for outstanding research, fundamental or applied, of creative nature in the field of Commerce & Business Management.
1. Any citizen of India engaged in research in any field of Commerce & Business Management up to the age of Sixty (60) years as reckoned on 31st December of the year preceding the year of the Prize. Overseas Citizens of India (OCI) &/or Persons of Indian Origin (PIO) working in India (or in collaboration with Indian citizen/s if residing outside India) are also eligible
2. The person(s), in the opinion of ICA, should have made conspicuously important and outstanding contributions to human knowledge and progress in the discipline & profession of Commerce & Business Management.
3. The contributions made through work done in India during the Ten (10) years preceding the year of the grant of Award shall be considered.
4. The candidate must hold a Doctoral Degree from a recognized University established in India or abroad, considered equivalent thereto, by the Association of Indian Universities.
5. Each published research work of the nominee shall be evaluated in terms of quality of the publication as well as the journal(s) in which they have been published.
6. Each published research work(s) would be evaluated on the terms of the following criteria:
. Originality of idea
. Research Methodology Rigour
. Discussion and interpretation
. Linguistic presentation
. Socio/Economic positive impact
Names of candidates may be proposed by Vice Chancellors of Indian Universities; Directors of Private Universities; Chairpersons of Institutions of National importance and Directors of the Indian Institutes of Management (IIM);
University Faculties should forward the name(s) of persons for the award working in their faculty/institutions only and route nominations through their respective Vice Chancellors, while the Faculties in IIMs are required to send their nominations through their Directors.
Each nomination, as per the prescribed pro-forma, should be accompanied by a detailed statement of work and attainments of the nominee and a critical assessment report (not more than 500 words) bringing out the importance of significant research and development contributions of the nominee made during the Ten (10) years preceding the year of the Award. Nominations not made as per prescribed format are not acceptable.
Every application/ nomination shall be accompanied by a processing fee of Rs.1000/- (Non Refundable) through demand draft drawn in favour of “M M Shah Memorial Award – ICA A/c” payable at Amritsar. The last date for application/ Nomination is 31st May 2021.
The award shall be adjudged by a six member jury comprising of people of eminence and distinction being accomplished educationists, industrial stalwarts, professionals and bureaucrats to lend an unbiased and comprehensive judgment of the eligible candidate.
A candidate once nominated would be considered for a total period of three (3) years, if age-wise eligible.
The Award of the cash prize may be withheld by ICA in any year, if, in the opinion of the Jury, no sufficiently meritorious candidate(s) is/are found suitable in that year.
In the event the Jury selects more than one person or Team(s) to receive the Award, the cash prize will be shared equally by each member of the joint team recommended for the Award.
The Recipient(s) will be responsible for all individual expenses including applicable taxes, if any.
The Award shall be presented at the time of the Annual Conference of the ICA.
In all matters of Award of “Prof. Manubhai M. Shah Memorial Award”, the decision of the ICA shall be final.
|Recipients of the Award
|Dr Hardeep Chahal,
Department of Commerce,
Jammu University, Jammu-180004
|Dr. Satya Bhusan Dash,
Professor of Marketing,
Iswar Dayal Chair Professor for Research in Futuristic Behavioral
IIM, Lucknow, UP, India, 226013.( Mobile: 09971616700,
|Dr Sumeet Gupta, Associate Professor, Indian Institute of Management, Raipur Dr.
Dr Gurjeet Kaur, Associate Professor, University of Jammu, Jammu
|Dr Madhusudan Karmakar, Professor (Finance & Accounting), Indian Institute of Management, Lucknow
Dr. Naliniprava Tripathy, Professor (Finance), Indian Institute of Management, Shillong
|Prof. Samir K Srivastava, Professor in Operations Management Area, IIM Lucknow
Dr. Gobinda Prasad Samanta, Director and Member of Faculty at Reserve Bank Staff College (RBSC), Reserve Bank of India (RBI), Chennai
|Dr Banikanta Mishra, Professor of Finance, Xavier Institute of Management (Xavier University), Bhubaneswar .
|Prof. R. Raghvendra Kumar Sharma, Department of Industrial and Management Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, India
Dr. Subhash C Kundu, Director, Haryana School of Business, Guru Jambheshwar University of Science & Technology, Hisar, (Haryana) INDIA
|Prof. Vipul, IIM, Lucknow
Prof. (Ms.) Parul Rishi, National Institute of Technical Teachers Training & Research, Bhopal
1.The Award is named as “Prof. Manubhai M. Shah Memorial Award forExcellence in Commerce & Business Management” (MMSMA).
2.The Award is to be given each year for outstanding contributions to the discipline &profession of Commerce & Business Management.
3.The Award shall comprise cash prize of Rs.2,00,000/- (Rupees two lacs) to beawarded each year for outstanding research, fundamental or applied, of creativenature in the field of Commerce & Business Management. Along with the cash prize,the Awardee will also be given a Certificate and a Trophy. The amount for the cashprize may be increased in future at the sole discretion of Mr. Anil M. Shah (Donor ofthe Corpus Fund/Award) and ICA.
4. Recognition of outstanding Indian work in the discipline & profession of Commerce& Business Management.
5. Any citizen of India engaged in research in any field of Commerce & BusinessManagement up to the age of Sixty (60) years as reckoned on 31stDecember of theyear preceding the year of the Prize. Overseas Citizens of India (OCI) &/or Persons ofIndian Origin (PIO) working in India (or in collaboration with Indian citizen/s ifresiding outside India) are also eligible.
6.The Award is bestowed on a person(s) who, in the opinion of Indian CommerceAssociation (ICA) has/have made conspicuously important and outstandingcontributions to human knowledge and progress in the discipline & profession ofCommerce & Business Management.
7.The cash prize is awarded on the basis of contributions made through work done inIndia during the Ten (10) years preceding the year of the grant of Award.
8.The candidate competing for this award must hold a Doctoral Degree from arecognized University established in India or abroad considered equivalent thereto, bythe Association of Indian Universities.
9.Each published research work of the nominee shall be evaluated in terms of quality ofthe publication as well as the journal(s) in which they have been published. For thispurpose the quality of the journal(s) will be ascertained on the following criteria inascending order.i)Journals without ISSN No.ii)Journals with ISSN No.iii)Journals with ISSN No. and refereed.iv)Journals with ISSN No., refereed & indexed.v)Journals with ISSN No., refereed, indexed and having impact factor
10.Each published research work(s) would be evaluated on the terms of the following criteria:
i) Originality of idea
ii) Research Methodology Rigour
iii) Discussion and interpretation
iv) Linguistic presentation
v) Socio/Economic positive impactEach criterion carries 100 marks. Thus each published work shall be evaluated outof 500 marks following the above stated criteria.
11. Applicants competing for the award shall have to pay a processing fee of Rs.1000/-(Non Refundable) through demand draft drawn in favour of “M M Shah MemorialAward – ICA A/c”
12. The Jury members shall be paid honorarium, travel expenses, if any, plus localhospitality suitable to their status for attending the meetings of the Jury not more thantwo times for finalization of the recipient(s) of the award of a given year.
13.The donor shall bear administrative operational expenses for the award for the firsttwo years.
Thereafter, the expenses related to the award shall be met out of theinterest income of the corpus fund generated for the purpose of giving Award.However, the ICA can also bear the part expenses related to Award, if required.
14. For the grant of Award in the shape of cash prize, the ICA shall be guided by therecommendations of the Advisory/Jury Committees constituted underclause 16 & 17
15. Names of candidates may be proposed by Vice Chancellors of Indian Universities;Directors of Private Universities; Chairpersons of Institutions of National importanceand Directors of the Indian Institutes of Management (IIM); University Faculties should forward the name(s) of persons for the awardworking in their faculty/institutions only and route nominations through theirrespective Vice Chancellors, while the Faculties in IIMs are required to send theirnominations through their Directors.The recipient of Prof. Manubhai M. Shah Memorial Award can sendnomination of one person only for each year’s award.Nominations from otherindividuals sponsoring their own names or of others arenotacceptable.Each nomination, as per the prescribed pro-forma, should be accompanied bya detailed statement of work and attainments of the nominee and a critical assessmentreport (not more than 500 words) bringing out the importance of significant researchand development contributions of the nominee made during the Ten (10) yearspreceding the year of the Award.Nominations not made as per prescribed format arenot acceptable.A candidate once nominated would be considered for a total period of three(3) years, if age-wise eligible.Once such a nomination has been received, ICA maycorrespond directly with thenominatorfor supplementary information, ifnecessary.In case a nominee has resigned from his/her present position in India andhas gone abroad, his/her nomination would be considered eligible as long as he/shemeets all other criteria.
The Advisory Committee for each year’s Award will comprise of the Jury of thefollowing six (6) members:
i. One representative (Chairman or President) from Confederation ofIndian Industries (CII) or Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce& Industries (FICCI) or Associated Chambers of Commerce & Industry(ASSOCHAM), on rotation basis.
ii. One Director of IIM, Ahmedabad, Calcutta, Bangalore, Lucknow,Kozikode, Indore, on rotation basis.
iii. One Judge of Honorable Supreme Court (Serving or Retired), on rotationbasis.
iv. One IAS officer not below the rank of Secretary, Government of India(Serving or Retired), on rotation basis.
v. One Academician not below the rank of University Professor or Directoror Head of an Educational Institution having worked in similarposition(s) for at least Five (5) years, on rotation basis.vi.One Chairperson of UPSC (Serving or Retired)/Comptroller & AuditorGeneral of India (Serving or Retired)/President of ICAI/ICWA/Instituteof Companies Secretaries of India (ICSI), on rotation basis.
(1) The recommendation of the Jury recommending the Award should preferably be unanimous, or not less than 2/3rd of the members of the Jury present and voting. The decision of the Jury shall be final and binding of ICA.
(2) In case the person to be nominated on the Jury is unable to be a part of the Jury for any reason, then he may recommend the nomination of a person who has held similar position in the past in the same category. The ICA may nominate such recommended persons on the Jury.
(3) The Jury shall be presided over by the Judge of the Honorable Supreme Court (appointed member of the Jury) and he/she will be responsible to confirm the decision by submitting a letter to the Secretary of ICA in timely manner. Each Jury Member will work only for a period of one year
17. The Controlling & Regulatory Body of the Indian Commerce Association (ICA)which shall oversee all the work relating to Prof. Manubhai M. Shah MemorialAward, including the appointment of the Jury Members mentioned in Clause 16, shall comprise the following:
a) President ICA
b) Secretary ICA
c) One Past President to be nominated by the Executive Committee of the ICA
d) Two nominees of Mr. Anil M. Shah (Donor of the Corpus Fund/Award) or hislegal heirs. Mr Anil M Shah or his legal heirs will continue to have the right tochange his representative(s), at any time, with a written notice to the Secretaryof ICA.
18.The cash prize for (MMSMA) shall be given out of the interest income of the CorpusFund to be created by the ICA for this purpose. The sponsor/donor, Mr. Anil M. Shah,will contribute an initial endowment of Rs.25 lacs for the MMSMA Corpus Fund.Anyone other than Mr. Anil M. Shah &/or his family members may also contribute to the MMSMA Corpus Fund. ICA will also make efforts and seek additional donationsfor this Corpus Fund. MMSMA Corpus Fund shall be maintained under a separateHead by the ICA. The amount for the cash prize may be increased in future at the solediscretion of Mr. Anil M. Shah (Donor of the Corpus Fund/Award) or his legal heirs.
19. The Award of the cash prize may be withheld by ICA in any year, if, in the opinion ofthe Jury, no sufficiently meritorious candidate(s) is/are found suitable in that year.
20. In the event the Jury selects more than one person or Team(s) to receive the Award,the cash prize will be shared equally by each member of the joint team recommendedfor the Award.
21. The Recipient(s) will be responsible for all individual expenses including applicabletaxes, if any.
22. ICA will be responsible for all expenses in respect of this Award, includingadvertising expenses.
23. MMSMA is to be the most prestigious award of the ICA.
24. No changes may be made to these Rules & Regulations without the written consent byMr. Anil M. Shah (Donor of the Corpus Fund/Award) or his legal heirs.
25. The names of the recipients are to be made public at least a month before the date ofAnnual Conference of the ICA in that Year. ICA website and reputed newspapersmay be utilized for such announcements.
26. The Award shall be presented at the time of the Annual Conference of the ICA.
27. In all matters of Award of “Prof. Manubhai M. Shah Memorial Award”, the decisionof the ICA shall be final.
Note:- This Award became operational w.e.f. the year 2012.